The response to the assassination of Iran’s Quds Force Commander Maj. Gen. Soleimani will be the expulsion of U.S. forces from the Middle East, Hezbollah Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah said on January 5.
The Lebanese leader said in a memorial service for Soleimani and his comrades, who were killed in U.S. airstrikes on Baghdad airport earlier this week, that the U.S. will leave the region “humiliated” .
“We are neither angered nor afraid, but we consider that there is a chance to get rid of the US occupation and hegemony,” al-Manar quoted Nasrallah as saying.
Nasrallah said that U.S. forces, warships and bases in the Middle East must pay the price for the killing of Soleimani, stressing that American civilians will not be targeted.
A day earlier, President Donald Trump warned that the U.S. will strike 52 targets in Iran, including sites significant for the Islamic country’s culture, if Americans or American assets are attacked.
Nasrallah’s remarks indicate that Hezbollah will take part in any Iranian response to the assassination of Soleimani. Earlier, an Iranian military commander said that Syria also will play a role in the awaited response.