fbpx

Most Popular

Most Viewed

Series of rocket & drone attacks hit Turkey’s bases, consulate in Iraq (VIDEOS)

A series of three attacks has targeted two of Turkey’s military bases well as one of its consulates in the northern region of Iraq.  

The attacks began late on July 26, when a suicide drone targeted a Turkish military base in the area of Barukhi and Siri in the province of Dohuk in the Kurdistan Region. The base is located on the Iraqi side of the border line with Turkey.

A group calling itself the Ababil Brigades claimed responsibility for the attack. The pro-Iranian group said that the attack was a response to the July 20 Turkish strikes on Zakho district in Duhok. The strikes, which targeted a number of tourist resorts, claimed the lives of nine civilians.

The Ababil Brigades released a video showing the launch of the suicide drone, dubbed Murad-6, which appeared to be a version of the Iranian Shahed-136.

Early on July 27, a rocket attack targeted a base of the Turkish military located near the town of Zaylkan in Bashiqa district in the northern province of Nineveh. At least three Grad 122 mm rockets struck the base and its outskirts. This was the third such attack to target the base in less than a week.

Right after the attack on Zaylkan base, a salvo of four 107 mm rockets, most likely Iranian-made Fadjr-1, targeted the Turkish consulate in the city of Mosul. In a statement, the consulate said that attack didn’t result in any casualties.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack on Zaylkan base or the consulate in Mosul, so far. Both attacks were likely carried out by pro-Iranian factions, also as a response to the July 20 Turkish strikes on Zakho.

The attacks deepened the wounds of Turkey, who acknowledged losing a service member and four security officers in northern Iraq on July 25, and another service member on July 27. The new casualties brought to 42 the number of Turkish personnel killed in Iraq since the beginning of Operation Claw-Lock against the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) in mid-April.

The Turkish military had blamed the PKK for the deadly strikes on Zakho. However, Iraq called on Turkey to apologies and pull all of its troops out from its territory.

Despite its mounting losses and the pressure from Iraq, Turkey will not likely halt its operation against the PKK. Ankara appears to be planning to simply ignore Baghdad’s demands. This could provoke pro-Iranian factions even further.

Source: South Front

    Leave Your Comment

    Your email address will not be published.*