According to the Dagestani Interior Ministry, two out of eight tanks exploded and there is a danger of another explosion
Twelve people were killed and 56 were injured in an explosion in Makhachkala on Monday night. According to the authorities, the explosion occurred opposite a filling station.
At the moment, according to the Emergencies Ministry, the open burning has been extinguished. TASS has gathered the main facts about the incident.
Circumstances of incident
– On Monday evening, an explosion took place at a filling station on the outskirts of Makhachkala. A huge fire broke out. According to the latest data, the area of the fire reached 600 square meters. The open fire was extinguished.
– As Dagestan Head Sergey Melikov told reporters, the explosion occurred opposite the filling station, its “causes and nature” are being determined.
– Two out of eight fuel tanks exploded. More than 70 people and 20 pieces of equipment are involved in extinguishing the fire.
– Police and city officials are moving people away from the scene. There is a risk of a second explosion.
– Gas supply was limited in the Makhachkala district where the explosion took place.
Casualties and fatalities
– According to official data, 12 people were killed, including two children, and 56 people were injured, including 13 children as a result of the incident.
– According to the Russian Health Ministry, hospitals in Makhachkala have everything necessary to treat the injured.
Reaction of the authorities
– According to the regional prosecutor’s office, an inspection has been organized in connection with the fire at the filling station.
– Senior Dagestani officials have arrived at the scene.
– The first deputy head of the Russian Health Ministry Viktor Fisenko arrived in Dagestan.
– The families of the victims will receive all necessary assistance, Melikov told TASS.
– The Russian Emergencies Ministry said that the victims would be flown to Moscow on a special ministry flight with doctors if necessary.