On Tuesday, the Iranian air defenses shot down a drone near the city of Malakan in the East Azerbaijan province, amid the ongoing tension between Azerbaijan and Armenia in the Nagorno Karabakh region.
Military sources said on Iranian state television, “The Iranian defenses shot down the enemy drone while it penetrated the country’s airspace in the northwest part of the country in East Azerbaijan province.”
The sources did not specify the identity of the drone that was shot down.
On Monday, the Iranian Internal Security Forces warned Azerbaijan and Armenia that any mortar shells would fall by mistake near the Iranian border during the ongoing clashes between them will result in a response from their troops.
The Deputy Commander of the Iranian Internal Security Forces, Brigadier General Qassem Rezaei, said, “One of our serious demands as a neighbor of the two countries is to resolve the issue through negotiations.”
Brigadier General Rezaei added, “The clashes have intensified between the two countries in recent days, and they are exchanging fire. We are monitoring this matter and I even sent a message this morning to border guards on both sides.”
- World Cup 2022: USMNT-England ends 0-0 as Americans’ inspired play goes for naught
- World Cup: Lionel Messi stars to revive Argentina’s hopes, all but dash Mexico’s
- Alyssa Milano blasted by conservatives, Elon Musk after trading in Tesla for Volkswagen: ‘Founded by Nazis’
- New boosters add limited protection against Covid-19 illness, first real-world study shows
- UAE changes the way visitors can apply for entry permit extensions
- Somali forces kill 15 al-Shabab militants, foil attack
- New virtual reality apps focus on mental health, but their effectiveness is unstudied
- Jennifer Lopez announces new album ‘This Is Me … Now’